Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Final Rule on Form I-9 Released


The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services have replaced the interim rule of 2009 with the final rule, effective May 2011.

The Final I-9 Rule states the following:
- Employers are prohibited from accepting expired documents because they are subject to fraud and have the possibility of not having the current status of the bearer.
- Form I-688, “Temporary Resident Card”, and Forms I-688A and I-688B, “Employment Authorization Cards”, are no longer on the list of approved documents. These documents are no longer being issued and therefore are officially expired.
- The new U.S. Passport card and the temporary Form I-551, known as a “Permanent Resident Card” with a printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa, are now added to the list of approved documents on List A of Form I-9.

Employers may use either Form I-9 with the revision date of Aug. 7, 2009, or Form I-9 with the Feb. 2, 2009, revision date. The agency stated that the expiration date of Feb. 2, 2009, Form I-9, has been extended until Aug. 31, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment