Friday, March 29, 2013

New Form I-9 Released in March 2013


The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released the new I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form this month. Employers are required to start using the new form version immediately but the USCIS has given a 60 day grace period until May 7, 2013. Please note, failure to properly complete and retain the Form I-9s correctly can result in civil money penalties of up to $1,000 per I-9 in violation and, in some cases, lead to criminal penalties.

Most of the form changes are in format, additional fields and more instructions to employers. To avoid any claims of discrimination, do not have current employees complete the new Form I-9 if there is already a properly completed I-9 on file, unless reverification applies.

To download the new Form I-9, please click here. For more information on the new Form I-9, please contact your Lowden & Associates partner at 770.248.0401.

No comments:

Post a Comment